Sierra Madre Highland Birds and El Tuito
Area: Puerto Vallarta and Cabo Corriente.
This beautiful tour combines the tropical birding with higher elevations of the Sierra Madre Mountain Range. We are fortunate to be located where the sierra meets the volcanic belt splitting the country into two distinct avian regions. Here numerous endemic species from the North are found at their Southern limit. In addition many Southern Mexico and Central American species can be encountered at their Northern limits!
Our trip starts at sea level and gradually we´ll head up through tropical forests, sub-perennials until reaching the pine and oak forests located at 1,000 mts of elevation within the Sierra Madre.
Located one hour away of Puerto Vallarta is El Tuito, nestled in the green hills of the municipality, Cabo Corrientes, emerging as one of the premiere birding destinations in the near vicinity of Puerto Vallarta. Here visiting birders will discover an outstanding array of regional birds—epitomized by the colorful but elusive Rosy Thrush-Tanager, which is perhaps most easily encountered here than anywhere else, which makes it a can’t miss destination on any birder’s dream places to visit on a trip to the west coast of Mexico!
The variety of habitats is so great that you can see different varieties of birds, among them the famous Grey-Crowned Woodpecker, varied Bunting, Painted Redstart, Black-Vented Oriole, White-Collared Seedeater, Ferruginous, Pygmy owl, Tufted Flycatcher, Greater Pewee, the Orange-fronted Parakeet, Green Jay, the Citreoline Trogons, Tropical Kingbird, Magpie Jays, Pale-billed Woodpecker are some of the area’s common sighting.
- 6:30 am – Marina Vallarta Pick up. Meet at Ecotours Marina office in Marina Vallarta (Proa loc. 20)
- 7:00 am – Downtown Pick up. Meet lobby Cathedral hotel, (Agustin Rodriguez corner & Hidalgo # 166) We will take scenic highway # 200 South of Puerto Vallarta through a wide variety of jungle settings. Stop at El Tuito and then continue to Rancho Primavera.
- 2:00 pm – Return to Puerto Vallarta
Save booking onlineSierra Madre Highland Birds and El Tuito
Adults +12 years Kids 4-11 years
$95 USD $75 USD
$85.50 USD $67.50 USD
Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
• Expert birding bilingual guide
• Binoculars & Telescope and check list
• Visit Rancho Primavera
• Field guides
• Small groups
• Ground transportation in A/C vans from meeting point
• Continental Breakfast
• Bottled water
• Snacks in Tuito Town
What to Bring:
Binoculars, comfortable clothes and shoes, insect repellent, camera, hat and birding spirit are all essential!