San Sebastian Western Birds & Culture
San Sebastian del Oeste offers a great diversity of birds. The lower area is a pine and oak forest home of birds like Acorn woodpeckers, Mexican Jays, Red Warblers, Painted Redstarts, Pygmy Owls, Chestnut sided vireos, Blue Mockingbirds, Grey collared Becards, Magpie Jays, to mention some of the birds. On the road to “La Bufa” a pristine pine forest on the top of Sierra Madre, we might see Long-tail wood partridges, Dusky-capped Flycatchers, Spotted wrens, Orange-billed Nightingale-Thrush, brown backed solitaires, Slate-throated redstarts and Mountain trogons.
Founded in 1605, San Sebastian del Oeste was one of the gold and silver mining centers of Mexico. At one time a provincial capital of 40,000 people, you will find it strangely deserted with only about 600 people living there now, with many structures, built of rock and adobe, exceed 100 years of age, and have not been changed in that length of time. Right now, it’s on UNESCO’s list for one of a World Heritage.
Your time in San Sebastián del Oeste can be as calm and relaxing, or active and adventurous as you want it to be. If you have time we can visit the Main Plaza, the Church of San Sebastián, La Quinta coffee shop, a handmade crafts store, etc. but just don’t forget your camera. San Sebastián is truly a photographer’s paradise.
- 6:00 am – Downtown Pick up. Meet lobby Cathedral hotel, (Agustin Rodriguez corner & Hidalgo # 166)
- 6:30 am – Marina Vallarta Pick up. Meet at Ecotours office in Marina Vallarta (Proa loc. 20)
- 4:00 pm – Drive back to Puerto Vallarta.
Save booking onlineSan Sebastian Western Birds & Culture
Adults +12 years Kids 4-11 years
$130 USD $85 USD$117 USD $76.50 USD
November thru April
Special tours, please check the availability.
• Expert birding bilingual guide
• Low and High altitude birds
• Visit to San Sebastian del Oeste mining town
• Visit Quinta Doña Maria coffee plantation
• Binoculars, Telescope and Checklist
• Field guides
• Small Groups
• Ground transportation in A/C vans
• Continental Breakfast
• Throughout the tour energetic snacks, fruit, purified water and soft drinks are provided
What to Bring:
Binoculars, all terrain shoes or tennis shoes, insect repellent, sun hat or cap, camera and birding spirit are all essential!